Mueller Water Products
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assembly Material Planner - Second Shift
at Mueller Water Products
The Mueller Company is headquartered in Atlanta, GA and manufactures valves for water and gas systems, including iron gate, butterfly, tapping, check, plug, and ball valves, as well as dry-barrel and wet-barrel fire hydrants; pipe repair products, such as clamps and couplings used to repair leaks, as well as municipal castings, including manhole covers and street drain grates; and residential and commercial water meter products and systems. It also offers metering, leak detection, pipe condition assessment, and other products and services for the water infrastructure industry, as well as provides installation, replacement, and maintenance services on new and existing valves, fire hydrants, and service lines.
The Material Planner develops the daily production schedules that tell the factory how much of each product needs to be processed through the different manufacturing steps on a daily and weekly basis. Utilizes the MRP system to create and manage Manufacturing Orders to get product processed through internal and outside processing manufacturing steps. The Material Planner works closely with manufacturing to understand capacity constraints and load the factory work centers to get product produced. Works closely with Quality to adjust schedules based on quality issues. Partners with procurement to plan schedules based on material lead times and availability and work material shortages that impact the production schedule.
Key to success in this role:
- Proactively evaluate current processes and systems to identify continuous improvement opportunities within the extended value stream and develop and implement best practices in supply chain disciplines.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes and hands on experience and knowledge of MRP systems, planning and executions, supply chain management practices, bills of material, and knowledge of material control scheduling. Support the value stream in the area of materials procurement (direct and indirect) including review and execution of MRP generated action messages.
- Foster close working relationships with associated departments such as Manufacturing, Procurement, Engineering, Finance, etc.
- Continually improve planning capabilities in the MRP system and processes with Manufacturing.
- Assist with developing policies and procedures for the operation of Production Control and Supply Chain departments.
- Walk the manufacturing floor to observe and understand product, inventory, and equipment status and issues.
- Assist with managing raw materials, inventory, and manufacturing orders on the production floor.
- Drive improvements to On Time Delivery by procuring material on-time and proactively identifying any material availability issues.
- Manage the assigned value streams including the management of inventory turns improvement, backorder reduction and coordinating activities with other buyer/planners and departments.
- Drive for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective business relationships.
- Relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Technical Competencies: scheduling techniques, inventory management, risk management, advanced planning systems, problem solving and decision making, teamwork and collaboration, accountability and responsibility, conflict management.
- Innovation: Continuously looks for better ways to satisfy our consumers, both internal and external, with incremental improvements in quality, durability, service, and cost.
- Teamwork: Is able to lead and/or participate on cross functional teams to achieve a common goal.
- Associate Degree in a related field; Bachelor degree strongly preferred.
- Two (2) to five (5) years materials experience in purchasing, planning, in a heavy manufacturing. Proven track record of material flow optimization through tools such as Lean, Visual Management, and Supplier Value Stream Mapping
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word.)
- Computer testing will be required to demonstrate proficiency within noted software packages
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Two to five years experience working in a union environment.
- Experience with ERP/MRP/Visual Management software for supply chain/inventory management
- Experience in lean manufacturing and other world class manufacturing/purchasing practices required.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in teams.